Has any modern presidential challenger held a polling lead in October and not gone on to win the November election? Has any modern President lost a lead in October and gone on to win re-election? I honestly don’t know. I doubt it.
UPDATE: Based on my cursory reading of Gallup’s historical data, no incumbent President that lost a polling lead in October has gone on to win re-election before or after the infamous polling disaster of Truman vs. Dewey in 1948. Any challenger that had a lead in October has gone on to win the election.
Like That? You'll Probably Like These.
- Romney Bests Obama In First Gallup Poll Of Campaign
- Romney, Huckabee Ahead Of Obama In 2012 Match Up
- Oops: Swing State Voters Fleeing Democrat Party In Droves
- Romney Up Big As Economic Optimism Plummets
- Generic Republican Bests Obama By 5 Points Among Registered Voters