In a ruling that limits what state and local governments can do in restricting the rights guaranteed to citizens by the US Constitution, the United States struck down a gun ban in Chicago this morning by a vote of 5-4.
5-4? Are you kidding me? Would these four vote against limiting state and local governments from restricting free speech or relaxing search and seizure requirements?
John Paul Stevens
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Wise Latina Sonia Sotomayor
Probably not. To them, the Second Amendment is the step child of the Constitution, not to be taken literally. Sadly, what’s really shocking is that this ruling is kind of shocking in the first place.
“It cannot be doubted that the right to bear arms was regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as states legislated in an evenhanded manner,” wrote Justice Samuel Alito.
Like That? You'll Probably Like These.
- Thune Gun Rights Amendment Fails
- Senate Democrats Vow To Block Thune Gun Measure
- Supreme Court: Right to Keep and Bear Arms Affirmed
- Audio: Obama Supports Federal Ban On Concealed Carry
- Pittsburgh Councilwoman On Anti-Gun Law: ‘Who Cares If It’s Unconstitutional?’